Day 20 – 10/09/11 Sunday


“Hey. Hey'
“Huh?” I said I said in a sleep haze
“It's lunch.” W.M said from my cell door.
“Thanks.”
I decided to sleep through morning rec since it was the weekend but I didn't plan on sleeping through lunch. I wasn't sure if W.M's kindness was out of obligation or not. Yesterday, he went on one of his rants and I happened to be in his path.
“I'm still here past my max date. Why am I still here?” He went on and on but I was willing to listen because he's nice. “I can't get in contact with nobody.” He paused. “Nobody.” He repeated. I see where this was going. Was it obvious I had an excess of commissary funds? I guess most people don't get the 37 dollar radio their first week of being on the block.
“Do you need a stamped envelope?” I asked
“Oh yeah if you could that'd be awesome.”
“sure”
I went and retrieved 2 envelopes for him”Here's 2 just in case.”
“Thanks so much man.” He ran off to his cell.


★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

It's football Sunday, so staying in my cell gave me an excuse to stay away from Mikai for a day. I get Mikai needs a friend, but why me when he talks to so many other people. Mikai has realized that he can get what he needs out of me:
“Can you proof read this letter to my lawyer? Can I get a soup? Can I get some paper? I forgot to order paper. Can you order some for me?
“Sure. Yes. Yes. Sorry, I'm at my limit.”
It's a bit annoying. He walked up to me and whispered after dinner.
“I started writing my book.” He said
“Oh yeah?” I said laughing.
“Yeah and I want you to read it.”
Oh god! He's serious. That's what I get for telling him I write.
“Yeah, it's called 'Guilty Until Proven Innocent.” I tired hard not to laugh.
“ I'm telling you this out here because you know they listen to us through the speakers,” He said.
“Oh god. I don't think I've ever met someone so paranoid.
“Mikai, there's no one listening. It's an intercom system used for emergencies. I doubt the 2 C.Os in the bubble periodically listen to every cell; that would interfere with their Bejeweled playing.” I said reminding him of the laid back attitude of many C.Os. He just rolled his eyes.

I was in my cell listening to NPR and writing when Mikai knocked on my door. He came in and sat down.
“I'm done 2 pages. You wanna read it,” he asked. I couldn't say no. He seemed so passionate. I really didn't feel like readin this. I read through it. Now I know I'm not the best writer when it comes to grammar and spelling, but god damn it was so hard to read this. Almost everything was misspelled. Not a single sentence was complete; they were all in fragments. From what I read, Mikai was contacted on his wedding anniversary by a detective and accused of touching his niece. He was then later arrested and interrogated and told he couldn't be around his kids.
“It's good,” I lied.
“Good.” He said. He got up and left only to return 30 minutes later. “I've got more. Do you want to read it or should I?”
“You read it,” I told him. He read it like one of my sixth graders might read. College my ass. He finished. In this “chapter,” he recounted the first few days we were in a cell in much less detail than I did.
“It feels so good to write this,” he said.
“Writing will do that. Especially in here,” I told him.
“Yeah. Thanks for the positivity. It's really helping.” He said as he left.